September 6, 2017

CPSC To Consumers: Avoid Deadly Home Hazards When A Hurricane Strikes


WASHINGTON, Sept. 6, 2017  /PRNewswire-HISPANIC PR WIRE/ -- As Hurricane Irma is on the move and other storms may threaten to follow, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is warning residents in its path of the deadly dangers that can exist after a hurricane sweeps through, knocking out power and causing flooding.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is an independent federal agency created by Congress in 1973 and charged with protecting the American public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call the CPSC hotline at 1-800-638-2772, or visit http://www.saferproducts.gov. Further recall information is available at http://www.cpsc.gov. (PRNewsFoto/U.S. CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION)

CPSC wants consumers to remember to prevent these four home safety hazards:

1. POISONOUS CARBON MONOXIDE (CO) 
The exhaust from portable generators contains poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) ? a deadly, odorless and colorless gas.

NEVER use a portable generator anywhere inside your home or garage. Portable generators should be outside, at least 20 FEET from the house, any open window or vent.

NEVER use charcoal grills or camp stoves indoors.

CO from portable generators, charcoal grills and camp stoves can kill in a matter of minutes. CO alarms can save lives.  Make sure that you have CO alarms in your home and that they are working.

2. DEADLY ELECTROCUTION HAZARDS
Stay away from downed wires. They can be live with deadly voltage.

Do not operate or handle electrical appliances that are or have been in standing water.

Have a qualified electrician check electrical appliances, circuit breakers, outlets and wiring before using them if they have gotten wet or have been in standing water.

3. CANDLE-RELATED HOUSE FIRES
Candles should be used with extreme caution. Never leave burning candles unattended. Battery-operated lights such as flashlights are a safer option.

4. GAS LEAKS: IF YOU SMELL IT, REPORT IT
If you smell gas, don't turn lights on or off, or use electrical equipment, including a phone.

Leave the home immediately. Then call 911.

CPSC spokespeople are available for interviews, including in Spanish. Call the Office of Communications to arrange for an interview at 301-504-7908.

CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20030904/USCSCLOGO

SOURCE U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

]]>

Print Edition

Facebook

Weather

Arkansas
September 25, 2017, 10:18 am
Sunny
Sunny
24°C
real feel: 29°C
current pressure: 1020 mb
humidity: 82%
wind speed: 0 m/s E
wind gusts: 1 m/s
UV-Index: 3
sunrise: 6:55 am
sunset: 6:57 pm
 

Galleries

Columnists

PHP Code Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com